Ethiopia Sidamo Fafi Natural - SINGLE ORIGIN
Ethiopia Sidamo Fafi - Natural Process
International shipping available
This wonderful microlot is bought to us by our friends at Utopia Coffee.
This coffee is from the Bombe Faficho village which is located in the Bensa district of the Sidamo region. The Bensa district has the highest altitude in the Sidamo region ranging from 1452 to 3129 metres above sea level. The Bombe Faficho village farmers, like most coffee growing farmers in the region, have their coffee plants shaded by trees, farmers also produce food crops beneath the shade trees diversifying their income sources. Farmers typically cultivate less than 2.25 hectares of land and the farms in the village range from 1650 to 2000 meters above sea level.
The combination of high altitude, plentiful rain, fertile soil contribute to the high status of Fafi coffee.
Ripe coffee cherries are delivered to the Sidamo Bombe Faficho dry mill for careful sorting before being placed on raised beds for 10 - 15 days until the ideal moisture level of 11.5% is reached. The coffee is covered between 12 and 3pm to protect it from the hot sun and covered again at night to protect it from rainfall and high moisture levels. Once dried, the coffee is transported for dry milling and further grading, sorting and handpicking prior to bagging.
The Coffee Variety
The Jimma Agricultural Research Centre (JARC) is a research institute in Ethiopia which focuses on improving the native heirloom varietals to produce coffee that is high yielding, resistant to disease and higher quality. The Jimma region in Western Ethiopia is believed by many to be where coffee originated. This varietal, 74110 is developed from Sidamo indigenous heirloom varietals which are known for their unique flavour notes which make for a distinctive and refined cup.
Tasting: Full body, peach, apricot and sweet chocolate. Floral and herbal notes with a vibrant, tangy and sweet finish.
Region: Sidama region, Bensa district, Bombe Faficho village
Altitude: 1650 - 2000 metres above sea level
Process Method: Natural/sundried, on raised beds
Crop Year: 2022
Pour Over Recipe: please feel free to experiment (credit: Tetsu Kasuya ):
Grind size: Coarse
Water Temp: 89 - 92 degrees Celsius
Ratio: 20g for 300 / 1:15
Brew time: 3min 30s
- Rinse filter & pre-heat pour over vessel of your choice.
- Pour in 20g of coarse-ground coffee
- Add 60g of water per pour 5 times, waiting 45s between each pour. This results in a total brew of 300g.
- Control the balance of the coffee by modifying the 1st and 2nd pours. For a sweeter brew, make a smaller first pour (e.g. 50g). For more acidity, a larger one will do the trick.
- Use either less or more water for the second pour to compensate for the difference (if any) in the first one.
- The 3rd, 4th and 5th pours can be tweaked to 2 larger 90g pours for a weaker brew, or into 4 smaller 45g pours for a stronger one.
Peak Brewing: 7 – 35 days post roast date
Brewing Ratio: 44% (1:2.25) i.e. 20g dose = 45g extraction yield
Extraction Time: 28– 32 seconds
Temperature: 93 degrees Celsius